Saturday, March 26, 2011

Badger Mountain Challenge


We are smiling....because we have no idea what we are about to do. A few weeks ago Scott said "Hey...there was a flyer up at the hospital and there is a 15K in Tri Cities.....it is the first one there at Badger Mountain. I want to do it." Okay.....have fun. Well, as it came closer I decided foolishly to be the good wife and join him. His knee is bad and I knew he would be walking it rather than running.....so how hard would that be?




It was so cold this morning and we got to the starting line. Oh....by the way...no parking by the start...had to park a long way away....so it turned out to be a 17K by the time we reached the car. Thank heavens I thought to pack a fleece cap because there was a bitter cold wind blowing. Rain didn't appear till after the race so we were happy about that. Such a blessing. Well....we arrived at the starting point and the cousin of the event organizer tells us we are climbing up the mountain. WHAT? So much for the easy part. Pretty steep hike.....but wait.....there is more.....after coming down......we walk around the mountain and climb up it again from the back side. With all the swelling in the back of my knee it was a pretty rough hike going up......but we did it. I first considered just stopping after coming down the first time.....but I thought "Nope....no matter how long it takes....don't start something and not finish." So up we went again. This is a pic of me when it's all over. Why am I still smiling? Because I'm half crazy.....but you already knew that.



I was so proud of Scott. His hip started cramping on the way back up the mountain....but he kept on going. He stayed a little behind me the whole way....I think he was checking out my butt.....but close enough we could talk when we weren't huffing and puffing. Even though i can feel pretty much every muscle in my body...and I'm pretty sure I'll discover even more of them in the morning....I'm so glad i decided to do it with Scott and say we accomplished it together. Was it smart to do with my bad joints? Of course not? Was it worth it to spend time with my guy? Absolutely!!!
This is how I felt at the end of the race. There you have it. We discovered how old we are really getting....but considering we did it anyway.....I'd say we are both still pretty young at heart.

No comments: