Monday, March 15, 2010

Introducing Pete



So, the couple that is renting Grandpa Jackson's has a cat. The cat has decided that it lives here though. It eats here....it plays here.....and it sleeps here....in the dog house....while our dog morgan sleeps outside next to the doghouse because it is always occupied by the cat. I don't know why Morgan is so nice to that cat. He will run off every other animal that steps foot in our yard. It was here so much that Chris decided to name it before he left. So.....here is Pete. He is actually a very fun and frisky cat. He likes to hide in my flower garden and pounce as I walk by. Trying to work out there in the flowers the other day was quite difficult with my little helper. Everytime I would snap off an old limb he would jump at it and want to play. The other day I looked out and saw a beautiful male pheasant in my back yard. A sure sign that spring has arrived to the Columbia Basin. Out the corner of my eye I saw the cat crouched down in the grass. Pete thinks he's a tiger....I'm sure of it. He lept.....and that bird flew off just in the nic of time.....that cat almost had pheasant under glass for dinner.



A couple weeks before that we came home one evening and the cat was sniffing around in the dirt.....Scott came out awhile later and that cat had caught himself a snake....or should I say half a snake.....he had bit it in half. He played with that half for hours....tossing it up in the air and really having a good time. So....Pete is really great at catching snakes.....and sometimes birds.....but I've never yet seen that cat with a mouse....and we live with a pasture in our backyard....there are plenty of them.....That darn Pete.

3 comments:

Stacie said...

That's hilarious. Pete seems like an amusing little cat to have around. I wonder how he'd respond to a squirmal.

Chandra said...

Oh no.....not the squirmal....you love taunting me with that Stacie. It may be fun though for me to taunt Pete with it. Thanks for the idea.

melanie said...

My kids actually like Pete and last time we were at your house, Reed was yelling, 'bye pete!' as we drove off. He likes him too!