Wednesday, September 1, 2010

An elect lady!


Today would have been my grandmother's birthday. We lost grandma in 2003 and there is not a day that I don't think of her. Sometimes we get an extra special blessing from our Heavenly Father. Grandma Viv....was one of those kind of blessings. There will never be another quite like her. She was a special lady that not only touched my heart....but I was so happy that I got to share that blessing with my children and they got to have the best great grandmother that the world had to offer. I spoke at grandma's funeral and I asked a lot of the grandkids for memories they had of grandma. Some were beautiful....some were funny....and some I know I will have to answer for when I see her on the other side someday. Here is a list of special memories I have of grandma.
*chocolate cake with fondant icing
*ice cold glasses from the freezer for our grapefruit juice
*her little dish of jubejube's.....it was alway's full....unless Tim had been there
*gingersnaps and chocolate chip cookies
*The Lawrence Welk show
*Royal Milk
*forgetting the punchline to her jokes
*praying for each of her grandchildren by name
*The world's worst photographer....she always cut off our heads
*Ooli gog
*chasing my kids around with her false teeth out and making them squeal
*Burping contests with Chris....which she almost always won
*Spongy hair
*Driving through the "Red Light" district in Edmonton with me.
*Being at my provincial speech competitions
*Pushing her in a wheelchair all over the campus of Eastern Washington at the National Science Olympiad competition for Kevin
*"While you're up"
*two ice cubes
*rice balls
*The way she doted on my father
*Always making me feel important in her life
*Sunday calls
*"Strawberries sure improve the taste of these pancakes"
* Saying that my husband Scott is her favorite...and I have it on tape to prove it.
*Her Unwaivering faith. No matter what trial she was facing.....she never lost her faith.
I am so greatful that Grandma Viv was chosen to be my grandma. I am so proud to have her name. Chandra Vivienne King Jackson. I love you grandma....and miss you....but I am sure that you are with dad....and he has a smile on his face...because he doesn't have to share the cupcakes with us. You only get four grandparents......and if you are really lucky.....you get at least one that is exceptional. I was that lucky. She was all that I needed.....and then some.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

She was all you needed. She was an amazing lady. I think about Grandma Viv a lot. Oh Grandma Viv and her royal milk. haha

Anonymous said...

You know a picture says a thousand words, and when I looked at the image of your grandmother, she truly looks wise. I read through the memories you had of her and they were touching. Not many people have the special bond you share with your grandmother and that is something special to hold onto.