Monday, January 26, 2009

My reward

Once in awhile a moment comes along when parents get a reward for the hard work they have done in raising their kids. Yesterday I got one of those moments. Chris has been asking why he's never had to speak with Scott on his high council assignments. So, last week he spoke with Scott in the 4th ward. I went and listened to him give his first adult talk. He spoke on preparing to enter the temple. He gave a wonderful talk and tears filled my eyes as I thought how close his time was until he entered the house of the Lord. It was a proud moment. Saturday I had the opportunity to attend the temple as a relief society presidency. As I sat in the session that day my mind was flooded with thoughts of Chris and how much he has grown these past few months. He has grown spiritually in leaps and bounds. The time he has spent going out with the missionaries has increased his testimony and given him such a desire to serve the Lord. I thought of how thrilled I will be to come to the temple with him as he prepares to leave for the mission field. He could very well be attending the temple at the end of this year. Well.....back to that parental reward. There is a new convert in our ward that is in the preist quorm. He has some learning dissabilities. He was asked to give a youth talk in our ward. Last week Chris came home and told me that he was going to help him. Chris stood by his side and whispered in his ear. The young man uttered a few words of each sentence quietly into the microphone. I could faintly hear Chris and he was talking about the Holy Ghost. Tears filled my eyes as I saw my son (A jock....and cool kid at the highschool) whisper in his ear. I saw his Christlike love for this young man as he stood by his side and helped him with his talk. I looked over at Scott and said "He is such a great kid" The spirit was so strong as this young man spoke. I couldn't understand most of what was said....but I didn't need to. The spirit said it all.
Chris is about to go out into the world on his own. As parents we wonder if we have done enough to prepare them for this journey. Yesterday I saw before me.....not a boy.....but a man. A man with wonderful qualities. I wish I could say that I was responsible for those qualities.....but yesterday.....Chris taught me....rather than me teaching him. Thank you Chris for being a remarkable young man. Thank you for loving others as you do.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

I am crying. Since I am going into Special Education, things such as this are obviously important to me. Chris is such a great kid. I am really impressed with him.

melanie said...

Did you read my post from last night? Seriously, I started writing it in sacrament meeting because I felt the spirit so strong and knew that I wouldn't remember all of what I felt. I cried happy tears too. You guys have done a great job with Chris. It gives me great hope with my 'dimple in the cheek' child!

The Jackson Clan said...

Chris is a great kid..... He has always been an example to me..... usually..... just kidding he is a GREAT kid!!!!

Lyle and Mary: said...

Way to go Chris for giving your mom a parent pay day.
I can tell there will be no empty nest syndome for this mom. jk