Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Welcome Mr. President



I have been waiting since election day for the day of the presidential inauguration to arrive. Val came over this morning to watch the festivites with me. Our new first lady looked radiant today. Her loving glances toward her husband warms my heart. I witnessed a piece of American History today as the first african american was sworn in to the office of President of the United States of America. I had goosebumps as he raised his hand....there on the steps of the capitol....which was largely built by slaves. It was quite fitting that he was sworn in with his hand on the Lincoln bible. As he spoke today I wondered if Lincoln's spirit lurked nearby. When he talked about being the son of a Kenyan immigrant who not long ago would not have been allowed to eat at the lunch counter....tears filled my eyes. I was so proud to be an American witnessing this historic day today. He gives me hope for a brighter and better future for my children. He has an incredible task ahead of him. He enters office with a nation in two wars and with an economy in peril. His words today were encouraging and uplifting. I believe he not only wants to heal a nation....but heal the world. Welcome Mr. President. We have been waiting for you. May God bless you and bless the United States of America.