Friday, February 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Buddy Roo

As I was sitting in the dentist's chair yesterday I said that I was old. The dentist said "Oh no you're not." I replied that my baby was turning 18. His response...."Wow....you're right. You are old."


Scott and I were in the card aisle at Walmart looking for a birthday card for Chris. I found some funny ones and then Scott handed me a sentimental one. My eyes filled with tears. I found another one and tears started to roll down my face. I think Scott thought it was kind of funny. I found the last card and read it and really cried. I handed it to Scott and he read it and said "Put it in the cart." Then he turned and went around the corner. When I caught up to him he had tears in his eyes too. Guess it just kind of slapped us in the face right there in the card aisle. Our kids are all grown up. It was pathetic. We could have been a Hallmark card commercial.

Here is the card that had us both in tears smack dab in the middle of Walmart.

"Every once in a while
In your running everywhere childhood,
I'd see you in a moment of quiet
and catch a glimpse of the man
you'd one day be....
I knew you'd be a good, loving man.
I knew I'd be proud of you...
I just never could have guessed how much."





You must have been a beautiful baby.....cause baby....look at you now!




Happy 18th birthday Chris! I love you!


Ten reasons why I love Chris so much.

1. He makes me laugh. (He can turn any situation into humor.) He was only seven when my dad passed away and we had just returned from the funeral home. I asked him if he had any questions. He thought for a moment and said "Yes. What is 55x55?" We all started laughing...and it was just what we needed.


2. He doesn't judge people.....and he hates gossip.


3. He is really good with the elderly.


4. Chris is a very hard worker. (He has had summer baseball since he was ten, but he still works during the summer.)


5. He is a very good example to those around him.


6. He will be a great missionary. He likes sharing the gospel.


7. Chris plays baseball with his whole heart. He puts everything out there on the mound.


8. He serves others. (I am very proud that he is a volunteer fire fighter.)


9. Chris has a deep spiritual side. (He read the Book of Mormon five times last year....and I never knew it....I thought he was going to sleep when he'd go to bed at night.)
10. He absolutely loves life....and lives it to the fullest.

4 comments:

melanie said...

Oh Chris, you are one cool kid. I can't believe you're 18. Happy Birthday!!

Another great birthday post Chandra. Keep it up!

The Jackson Clan said...

So I wish I was down life guarding but since I am not 16 I get to just sit up in my little tall stand and yell at them if they are being bad (authority that is always good) and watch them (in their suits!) oh and get a tan that is always good. It should be fun and then I can burn their food. I am so excited.

Lyle and Mary: said...

OK please pass the syrup!!!
You two are really getting pathetic with the thought of your last one leaving.
All I can say is "run Chris run!!" Before they chain you to the house and never let you go.
Sorry I'm not there to bring chocolate in your moments of sadness.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

You're right he is quite a kid. I feel so blessed to be taught by him.

That senior year before they go is just sooooo sad I think. I kept thinking, "This is the last time . . . " on everything and it was so darn painful.