Thursday, May 28, 2009

Gone Home


When we visited dad on his last good day this past Saturday we walked into the nursing home with my friends Les and Janine. They are very dear friends of dads. As soon as we walked in dad reached for Janines hand and said "I want to go home." Well, after quite a struggle dad has gone home. He had a rough day yesterday. Very restless. We got a call at 5am yesterday and dad had partway fallen out of bed and had his head wedged between the bed rail and the mattress when the nurse checked on him. I broke down and cried at that moment. Had much more did he have to suffer? Scott ran right up to there and I followed close behind. Scott spent about 14 hours up there yesterday and I was by his side for most of them. We left around 10:30 to get just a few hours of sleep. We left dad in very loving hands. His grandaughter Kelly sat at his bedside holding his hand through the night. When we left dad's breathing was still very strong. Both Scott and his brother that is the doctor said he would make it through the night. Well, dad always did like to be in charge and have things his way. Kelly called at 2:45 this morning to let us know that dad had just slipped away. When we arrived and I walked in the room my face was flooded with tears.....but tears of joy. His struggle was over. He looked so peaceful. He was in the loving arms of his dear sweet wife....and he had many siblings that have waited so long for him to arrive. Dad was the last of all of his brothers and sisters to go. I am sure there was a joyous reunion this morning. I am so thankful for the gospel and for a knowledge that he is safely home after a valiant journey in this life. He was a remarkable man....and an amazing father and grandfather. He filled such a whole in my heart when I lost my dad. I couldn't have hand picked a better grandfather for my children. Chris has had the amazing opportunity these past three months of administering the sacrament to dad up at the nursing home. He would kneel at his bedside and whisper the prayer into his ear. It is something that seemed to calm dad and it is a memory that Chris will forever cherish. Welcome Home Dad. Welcome Home. I love you.

4 comments:

Grant Haws said...

I love you Chandra, I don't know what to say other than I love ya'll and I am glad you were able to be there with him before he passed.

Lyle and Mary: said...

Oh man this post made me cry.
What a great guy he is. I'm glad he's back with Melba and family members, but I know how much he will be missed by all.
Wish I could be there for the services.
I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Stacie Lou said...

I've been thinking about him all day and what I keep seeing is the look on his face the last time he looked at Kevin. In just a look you could see so much love in his eyes. I could tell in just that moment that he cared so much for others. And I can see that kind of love in you and Scott and Carolyn and Chris and Kevin. I am so blessed because he has been in your lives and I am happy that Heavenly Father has answered his prayers. May you have the same feeling of peace.

ShEiLa said...

I am so sorry.

I just left a comment on Carolyn's blog. Also sent a text to Tony.

Please let us know when the funeral will be... although we cannot make it... you will be in our thoughts and prayers. Please tell Scott how sorry we are for your entire family.

I am glad that he filled the hole in your heart after your Daddy passed away and am sad that he has left another hole in your heart.

Peace & Comfort be with you all.

ToOdLeS.