Thursday, July 15, 2010

25th Wedding Anniversary-Day 5


I wanted to make sure and put a picture on my blog of our tiny little room. This is it. There wasn't a lot more to it.....it was clean though and had a very friendly staff. We were having trouble getting online to get Chris's email from Mexico and they were so helpful. Each morning at breakfast the little lady downstairs in the breakfast room would say "Bonjour. Chocolat" She knew we wanted hot chocolate each morning. We also had fresh croissants and jelly and ham and eggs. If I ever go again I would stay at the same place. They were so sweet as we asked directions and tried to communicate in french.



Blowing a kiss to my sweetheart. I've been married for 25 years to the most amazing man. We slept in this morning and then we headed for St. Chapelle







I loved all the fleur de lis on the outside of the church. That has always represented france to me. Whenever I see one I always think of my dad.








This church had my favorite of all the stained glass windows that I saw. It was completed in 1248. It is considered the most beautiful church in Paris. It has 15 stained glass windows that are 50 feet high. Each panel told a different scripture story. I would have never been able to pay attention to Mass. I would have been engrossed in the windows.






We sat down in a little section where the King used to sit for Mass. We sat there for a long time and just studied the windows. Remembering bible stories of my childhood depicted in the most beautiful way I had ever seen.




I loved the colors in this church. It was much more colorful than the Notre Dame.






I just stood there and took it all in. It was magnificent. Not only is the architecture so beautiful in Paris but the city is rich with history and I loved learning about different things.





Getting into St. Chapelle was different than the other churchs. We had to go through security and walk thhrough metal dectectors. It is located right next to the Palace of Justice so security was rather tight. Here is Scott in front.





Blow up this picture and look at the joker beside me. I was smiling at Scott for a picture and Scott was dying laughing and I had no idea that this guy was doing this beside me. I didn't know until after Scott showed me the picture.







We took a stroll along the River as we headed off to find some ham and cheese crepes for lunch.





We spent the afternoon shopping for souveniers. We had fun going into the different little shops looking for little trinkets that we could take home that would remind us of our trip. I got the cutest little silver bracelet with the different places we had visited.







I have been observing the fashion over her in Paris. It is completely different than how we dress in the US. I had to get a picture of this lady in her hat outside the cafe. She just embodied Paris fashion and it was great that she had a long slender cigarrette because I have never seen so many women smoke before. The men wear a lot of scarves and very skinny jeans.....in every color. I've seen them in pink, yellow, and lavendar. Several of the men wear suits.....but no ties. The woman wear mini skirts.....and I mean mini or short shorts with tights and stilleto heels. I still don't know how they walk on those cobblestone streets in those heels.....but they manage it. I was very happy to be in my sensible and comfortable walking shoes.








It was raining pretty hard by the time we got back to our hotel.....we stopped in at a little shop and got an extra umbrella of Scott because the one wasn't keeping both of us dry. Of course....we also had to stop by the bakery too.
Scott had asked me a few weeks before our trip what I was wearing for our dinner cruise. That kind of surprised me because he doesn't usually ask that. So I told him I'd bought a black and white dress. Well....as we were getting ready to go he whips out these two boxes. What? We had already decided we weren't exchanging anniversary gifts because this trip was our gift. Welll......he smiled and said "It's your birthday gift." I did get married on my 19th birthday and I remember Scott's mom saying she would ask me in 10 years if I still liked my present. Well mom....after 25 the answer is still YES......marrying Scott was the best present I have ever received. I opened the boxes and the first box had a beautiful round necklace with black and white diamonds....and the next box had matching earrings. They were just beautiful. I started to cry. Scott wanted to call a taxi but I thought it would be romantic to walk in the rain during springtime in Paris.....so we headed off down to the River to catch our boat for our dinner cruise.
We walked hand in hand and it was the perfect start to our evening. When we got to the boat someone else was at our table and so we were moved to a different table right beside the windows. It was a glass covered boat so everywhere had a good view of the city. The waiter came to open our wine that was sitting at our table and I said "No merci." I then told him that we didn't want anything with alcohol. We got that funny look again. A young couple was seated at the next table and he said "You sure know how to ruin the French experience." I apologized and said that we didn't drink and he laughed and said neither did they. We got to talking....they were from New York and were there for their 10th anniversary. He had brought his wife back to the place he had served his mission. Small world. I got a lump in my throat as I told him that my dad served his mission here many years ago.





25th Anniversary




Dinner was incredible. The best restaurant meal I have ever eaten in my life. Everything was about presentation. This was my prawn appetizer and it was pretty enough that I took a picture. I had a white fish for my main course and it was drizzled with the most delicate tomato cream sauce. It was delicious. Scott had veal and I took a bit of his. It melted in your mouth. The flavor was tantalizing on your taste buds. Live music played as cruised along the river. I ordered crepes suzette for my dessert......When they lit it on fire it startled me.....I didn't know it was covered in alcohol. The guy beside us said....don't blow it out.....or you'll be drinking....ha ha.











As nwe docked we came right by the eiffel tower all lit up against the darkened sky. As I looked into my sweethearts eyes and held his hand I hoped that this moment would last forever. I have spent 25 years with the love of my life and I will never forget this night. Scott's entry in our journal this morning said "Lucky me.....25 years with my very best friend." Love is grand!











4 comments:

Carolyn said...

You two make me sick. And also happy. I'm so glad my parents are still in love.

Mike and Lisa said...

Aww....what a sweet post! So Paris really is the City of Love! You guys are cute....for an old couple. ;) jk.

Stacie Lou said...

I love the picture of you two together. So lovely. That meal does look beautiful! How random that you kept running into members of the Church. I guess the no-alcohol deal kind of gave you away.

I'm very glad you are married. You two are wonderful.

missdaleen said...

It was a privledged to read your comments today. In a way, I felt like I was intruding on a very private moment. Thanks for sharing your love story.
Congratulations to you both. Here's to many more wonderful years with "Mr. Right".