Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sacre Coeur---Day 6






Okay.....we all knew that at some point Scott was going to have a picture like this.








We went down to our favorite little neighborhood that we discovered on our second day. It is an area called Rue Claire. It is justl three blocks from our hotel and it is off the path of the tourist attractions and it is just the most quaint little area. Outdoor cafes line the street and markets with frest fruit.






One of the stores had these snails in the window. I must say I never did get brave enough to try that.









I love the little butcher shops with the meat hanging in the window. There just isn't anything like that where we live in Moses Lake. We went down to rue clair every morning. It was just a little part of paris that was tucked away from the hustle and I loved it there.









I loved the outdoor flower shops with the most beautiful and fragrant flowers. Lots of people stopped to buy fresh flowers.








A lot of people ride bicycles in Paris. This was a street in Rue Clair where you could put money in and rent a bike. I loved seeing the little old ladies with baskets on their bicycles full of fresh flowers and vegtables. It just seemed so laid back there in that part of the city. I didn't ever want to leave. I thought that if I had a little apartment there in Rue Clair I could be content riding my bicycle to market each morning in the shadow of the Eiffel tower just a few blocks away.








We spent a quiet morning walking along the shops and buying chocolate to bring home. Lots and lots of french chocolate. We found a creme brulee chocolate bar that was divine. Shared one with my little brother.....dang he's lucky. We also stopped at our favorite little bakery one last time. I had my second almond flavored cream puff. Yes......that is a look of pure delight on my face. French pastries are amazing.








We took a long metro ride to Montemart to see the Sacre Coeur. It was totally worth the stuffy and very crowded subway that day. It is set on a hill and it is marvelous to behold. I had to stop for a moment in the shade and just stare and take it all in. As a young girl I remember my dad telling me about climbing the steps up to the church. Not only did he serve his mission in France but as a highschool french teacher he took several student trips there. I wondered how many times he had climbed these stairs leading to this gorgeous church.








There were so many steps and my legs were tired but I didn't want to take the ride to the top.....I wanted to trace everyone of my father's steps up those stairs. As if the exterior wasn't beautiful enough.....the interior was breathtaking. The dome seemed to reach right to heaven. It is still an operating church and no pictures were allowed inside.




When we walked inside there was a sign that said "Silence. This is a holy place" Then you walk around the corner and there is a vending machine where you can get coins out with the church or Jesus on them. Around another turn was a place to purchase candles to be lit in prayer. I came upon a lady that was kneeling and clutching her bible as she prayed....just then a group of school children ran by and were giggling and talking. It did not seem very holy to me....and as happy as I was to be able to see this magnificent builiding I felt like I was invading.





This street performer was perched outside of the church. He was the best of any I had seen. He played a little flute and when he posed he truly did look just like a statue.









This adorable elderly couple was sitting across the church playing music for money. There were people like this all over Paris. They would even jump on your subway car and play and then pass around a cup for donations.










A final view of the Sacre Coeur









That evening we took a walk up to the Hotel Des Invalides. It was built for the wounded soldiers of the late 17th century. It was just a couple blocks behind our hotel and we had seen that gold dome every day so we decided to go take a closer look. Another beautiful building.





We had dinner at an Italian cafe in rue claire and then we decided to walk up to the Eiffel tower for our last night in Paris. We had only been there during the day and I wanted to be there when the lights came on and when it twinkled at the top of the hour. I had seen it from our hotel room.










So......what do two extremely exhausted people do when they are waiting on the lawn for the lights on the tower to turn on? We take silly pictures!



This is our "I Can't believe we went to the top of the Eiffel tower" shot.






"We are so sick of street vendors" shot. That is the only thing that we got sick of.....they were always shoving light up Eiffel towers in your face....or post card books....they wouldn't leave you alone.





Okay Carolyn....this one is for you. She died laughing when she saw this picture. Scott makes this funny face with his lips all the time and I always try to do it and can't.....Carolyn said it looks like I have stroke face. We really got a laugh out of it. We had lots of fun that evening waiting for the lights to turn on....and when they did I got a kiss from my lover under the glowing Eiffel tower.

3 comments:

Grant Kellie said...

Such awesome pictures...and that pastry one is naughty senorita!

Carolyn said...

Hahaha. Hooray for posting that picture! It is so funny to me.

missdaleen said...

I love "following" you and Scott.
Paris seems like miles ago. However, like you I can still feel my "dog barking". Man, we walked and walked and walked.

Today, in my corner of the world is Miss Gabi's baby shower. Five weeks to go before I become a
Grandma! If I wasn't so darn tooting busy today I should blog about it. Maybe tomorrow will be more slow. Thanks for the calm before the storm today.