Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandma Viv





I was blessed beyond measure when I got Grandma Viv as my grandmother. She was an elect lady. Today is her birthday and I’ve thought of her often over the past 6 years since she passed away but on her birthday I stop to reflect about the amazing woman that she was. She was awesome….just ask anyone that knew her.

Reasons why I love grandma so much.

She made the BEST chocolate cupcakes with white fondant icing. She used to get so mad at Ted and I for eating them straight from the freezer. We couldn’t wait for them to thaw and it drove her crazy. She also made the best chocolate chip and gingersnap cookies and Rice balls with Mcontosh toffee…yum.


Grandma was my biggest supporter. She was there both times that I won the provincial speech competition and she was so proud of me. She always told me that I could do anything.


She did a fantastic job raising my dad. She spoiled him to much....and it made it tough on the rest of us…but she raised an amazing man. I didn’t quite appreciate the depth of my fathers love until after I had my own children. He raised us to be responsible citizens and someone that others would respect. I think he learned that from his mom.

She was an awesome great grandma. My kids adored her. They loved playing with her spongy hair. They really loved it when she would take out her false teeth and chase them through the house. They all laughed so hard. What a blessing it was for my children to have such a close relationship with their great grandma viv. Grandma was a real lady....but she knew how to let her hair down and have fun. One day when she was drinking a pop she let out a small burp. Chris ran into the room and said "I can do better than that grandma viv" Let the games begin....the contest was on. Chris was shocked that she usually won.


Grandma always smelled so good. I loved being a little kid and getting hugs from grandma…I could smell her for hours. I took some of her perfume after she passed away and when I really miss her I will spray a bit of it and that smell takes me right back to childhood.

She had the strongest testimony of the gospel of anyone that I know. She prayed to the Lord everynight and asked him to bless each of us by name. I feel like I have my own guardian angel in heaven. Her faith in the gospel was unwavering.

I could tell grandma anything. She wasn't just my grandma....she was my dear friend. After I got married she called me every Sunday and would catch me up on all the family news. When my phone rings on Sunday I still think that somehow she has found a heavenly phone and she is calling to catch up.

She was so strong. She had many trials in her life. Grandma had polio...not once…but twice. Her short leg from a result of that never slowed her down. She was at so many of my kids activities. When Kevin went to science Olympiad nationals and it happened to be held in WA that year grandma viv was right there watching all of it.

She always had treats for the grandkids. She had a well stocked gumball machine, a neverending M&M dispenser....and a crystal dish full of jube jube's....unless Tim had been there and then they were pretty picked over. She also kept glasses in the freezer so we could have ice cold juice.

Grandma Viv was the funniest person I’ve ever met. She had the funniest sayings and mannerisms. She love to tell a joke...but would either tell the punchline at the beginning or she would get clear through the joke and then forget the punchline and she'd be dying laughing. We will always remember grandmas duck bumps, royal milk, whip cream improving the taste of those pancakes, and all of her other funny ways.

I am truly honored that my full name is Chandra Vivienne King Jackson. I love you grandma…and I miss you every single day....but I know that you and dad are together and that brings me great comfort. Thank you for being the world’s best grandmother.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

And she watched tv with no sound! NO sound! She sure was a funny lady.

ShEiLa said...

A very proper tribute for a lovely lady.

All of my kids love the 'cookie Grandma' as she loved being called at our house. I have several pictures of her in her robe rolling the cookies out into balls with my little ones sitting on the counter next to her just to be near.

Her gingersnaps were my personal favorite. The other day we were going through Celestial's childhood treasures and we found a message that G.ma Viv had written in book that she and Cesty had played tic-tac-toe in. She wrote her message in RED crayon. What a special memory.

ToOdLeS.