Wednesday, September 16, 2009





The night we arrived in Rexburg we drove up the hill to the temple. I think the Rexburg temple is one of the prettiest temples I've ever seen at night. It glows for miles set up on the hill.









Monday was a busy day getting Chris and Tyler moved into their log cabin. It will be hectic with 12 people living there but Chris likes all of his roommates and seemed excited about the new adventure in his life.









Monday Evening Scott and I went up to spend the night in Island Park at Wintertons cabin. Good thing we arrived in the dark and didn't see the sign posted on the tree at the entrance to the cabin. Might have been a bit scared to enter.







The cabin was just beautiful. Mary has it decorated so nicely. We sat out in the hottub that evening and I've never seen so many stars. It was an absolutely beautiful evening.








We went for a walk the next morning and we really giggled when we came to a fork in the road and there was literally this fork lying right in the middle of the road just as the road was coming to a fork. We just had to take a picture for the blog.






The lake was so calm that morning. Not a ripple. We saw this crane and watched it for awhile. The scenery was breathtaking.









Scott snapped a picture of the moon on our walk that morning. Thanks Lyle and Mary. We had such a relaxing time up at the cabin. Wish we could have stayed longer.








Tuesday morning we drove up to Yellowstone National Park. We saw a lot of Buffulo. This guy was walking right down the middle of the road. I've never been so close to one.











The pools of boiling water were beautiful. This one was very deep in places.










We got out and walked around and saw some beautiful gysers. The spray from this one got me wet while I was trying to take a picture.










We were in the parking lot trying to find a place to park and we just missed Old Faithful. I've seen it before though and didn't want to wait another 90 minutes for the eruption...but we saw a lot of other really pretty gysers anyway.





We came upon this uprooted tree as we were walking and I was really intrigued by it. I thought it was really beautiful.















We drove up to a really pretty lake that was in the park.






Wednesday morning while Chris was in orientation we made an absolutely beautiful drive up to Grand Teton National Park. We stopped and saw an old friend in Teton Village and he told us to drive up to Jackson lodge and eat there. The restaurant had huge windows overlooking the Tetons. It was just breathtaking. Scott had sweet potato fries for the first time. I snuck a few. They were delicious.




I was still having a hard time with goodbyes so we stopped and took Chris to breakfast Thursday morning and then dropped him off on campus for his very first university class.








Scott and his boy.






We drove down to Provo on Thursday. It was great to see all the kids. Friday morning while the kids were at School Scott and Grant and I went for endless french toast at Kneaders. Scott had never been and I wanted to introduce him to the delight of fresh wish cream and carmel syrup. It was so delicious. Carolyn and Stacie harassed Grant for the rest of the weekend though. They said "That's not fair. You aren't even related." Grant knew he was officially adopted into the Jackson clan after the Kneaders breakfast....even if Carolyn kept referring to him as "The Other One."




Saturday afternoon we went to our favorite place. We love Tucano's and it was great. We all ate to much. Poor Stacie felt like she was going to throw up.






Saturday Evening just as the sun was setting over Provo we all hiked up Y mountain. The air was so thin and I'm not used to the alltitude and I wasn't sure I was going to survive.







Grant was the first one to the top. He didn't even wait for the old folks. I think he ran up there. He was there a long time before anyone else arrived....I think he figured we'd been eaten by a cougar.






Kevin, Stacie, Brent, and Carolyn were very happy that they had conquered Y mountain.







The old farts taking a rest after a long hike. It was beautiful though seeing the valley at night.











A tired bunch of hikers









I was a lot younger when I hiked the Y five years ago when we dropped Kevin off as a freshman. My body had lots more aches and pains after this hike.





Grant kept climbing on the rocks and trying to act like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. He does a very good impression....it gives me the willys. Well, on the way down Scott, Brent, Carolyn and I were taking up the rear. I heard a rustling in some bushes and I said "Dang Grant....he is going to jump out and scare me." A guy in a freaky clown mask jumped out and was lurking around us. It scared the heck out of us. Scott was ready to push him off the side of the mountain. It was really freaky. Scott called campus police and I hope they went up there and caught him. There were girls hiking alone and I'm sure they would have been terrified.
We spent a quiet Sunday resting up for our long drive home. Brent made a great chicken casserole....even if Grant turns his nose up at curry. It was delicious. Grant grilled up some pineapple that was even more mouth watering that the pineapple at Tucano's. That night we watched a movie and had Grant's blackberry crumb cake with ice cream. It was so yummy. I think Grant should really look consider going to culinary school. We had a wonderful trip. It was hard to tell them all goodbye. We have returned home to a very quiet house. It will take some getting used to.

Thanks for a wonderful time. We love you all.....and that includes "The other one"

5 comments:

Grant Haws said...

I am glad you came! It was a truly magical weekend!

Hugs and Kisses, "The Other One"

Deanna/Mimi said...

I love your blog Chandra. Beautifully done. I am just learning. When Carolyn was last here she got me set up. I just wanted to comment on your beautiful pictures of your trip and the wonderful time you had. Of course any time I can see pictures of Brent, Carolyn and Carolyn's very special family I am most happy. Thank you for sharing.
Deanna Hirz

ShEiLa said...

Thanks for the photo share and the update. Never a dull moment... except maybe once you got home and the house was quiet. Sorry... it is a bit rough... the empty nest thing.

ToOdLeS.

Lyle and Mary: said...

I was wondering if you guys actually made it up to Island Park. Glad you had a good trip. Next time maybe we can all hang out at the cabin together :)

Melanie said...

Hey - You said it was a 'quick' trip... BUSTED!!! :) It is okay though. I still love you anyway.