Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A day to reflect


I have been in a rather reflective mood today. Today would have been my father's 70th birthday. This is a picture of my dad at 1 year old. Oh how I wish that dad was still with us and I was able to talk to him today and wish him a happy birthday. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him. There are many things that I learned from my father....and many traits that I inherited. He would always tell me "Remember who you are" I took that to heart....and I always tried to live up to the King name. After all....as a little girl I thought we were royalty. I have since learned that it is so much more than that. I am a Daughter of God....and I need to live and Honor that birthright. I learned to always be my very best self.




This is a picture of my dad as he left for his mission to France. Isn't he handsome? Some of the traits I inherited other than the obvious King nose.....are always being very early to everything. My dad hated being late. My lack of patience I attribute to my dad as well. I think one of the traits I got from him that shines through quite often is my ability to stand up for myself. I didn't always have that quality but as I grew I learned it from my father. I got my stubborn streak from my dad too. There are times when I will do something and Scott will say "Okay Ted King" I take that as a compliment.


A couple of weeks ago I had a very special experience. I had been to the temple and I had dad on my mind. I had prayed that I might feel him close to me. Two days later we were on our way to Rexburg to see Chris open his mission call. I was pretty emotional on our ride down there. I told Scott how sad I was that both of Chris's grandfather's were gone and they could not share in this with him. We hit snow and slush on the roads on the pass and suddenly we started to slide.....I gasped and said a quiet prayer.....I felt like there were arms around me....and I felt so warm....but I didn't feel like it was my heavenly father....but my earthly father. I couldn't get dad off my mind for the rest of the trip. I hoped that he and grandpa Jackson had the best seat in the house for Chris to open his call. As we walked into the Costco in Missoula, MT....there was a great big package of vinyl transfers for your wall....and it was the Eiffel Tower. My dad was a french teacher.....and every time I see the Eiffel Tower I thought of him. I must admit I was a bit surprised to see it there....didn't seem like something that those in Montana would have on their walls. No antlers or anything.....ha ha. Well.....we went into TJ Max when we were done at Costco....and that is where we got the text from Chris that his call had arrived....and just as I walked around the corner in the store there was a big silver Eiffel Tower. I really felt like my dad was trying to tell me that he was there....that he knew of Chris's call....and that he would be with us. I love you Dad. I'm grateful that I am your daughter.....and I'm grateful for the things you taught me while you were here...and even now since you've been gone. Happy Birthday Dad.
****Minutes after I had published this post I got an email from my cousin Linda telling me that My cousin Shane's wife Pam had delivered a baby boy today.....on my dad's birthday. That little guy is going to share a birthday with a very special family member. Congrats Zobell family!

2 comments:

ShEiLa said...

So many of us have been thinking of your Dad today... Tony and I started the day off with memories of him... actually he comes up all of the time.

It was sweet of you to share such tender thoughts.

My neice Kate celebrates her 8th Birthday today... she will be baptized on Saturday. I thought it was interesting that her name is Kate... similar to Grandma Viv's Mom... Katie Witbeck Card.

ToOdLeS.

Deanna/Mimi said...

Such beautiful thoughts of your father. You are right...he was very handsome. You have been so blessed to be surrounded with good men all your life: your father, father-in-law, your sons and your sweetheart Scott. I am sure your cup runneth over.