Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Gone but not forgotten


Yesterday I stopped what I was busy doing and sat down and watched the memorial service for the 4 slain Lakewood Washington police officers. What a sight it was to behold as I saw the thousands of police and fire vehicles in the procession. As the caskets arrived even with thousands lining the street it became very quiet. Seeing the salutes from fellow officers was touching.
There were police officers from not only around the country....but from around the world. I must admit that the 1000 police officers that belong to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police looked the sharpest. It was a carpet of red as they marched into the Tacoma Dome. They really stood out in the sea of blue uniforms. I was proud of my canadian heritage as I watched them march in and take their place among the other law enforcement personel that were there to honor these fallen heros.
There was a touching moment before the service began. There have been makeshift memorials set up all around the city and a reporter talked about a seven year old boy that came and left a Mariners baseball and his baseball glove.....with it a note that said "These are my most prized possesions but I am giving them to you." What a tender and thoughtful gesture from a young boy that recognized the service of these four slain officers. I shed a few tears over that one. The service was beautiful. A wonderful and well deserved tribute to those in uniform. As the service concluded and the folded flags were presented to the families instead of a 21 gun salute there was a bell that was rung 21 times. Then the saddest moment of all......the stadium became completely quiet and the officers radio control letters were read three times.....NO RESPONSE.....after no response came with each one a voice said "Gone....But NOT forgotten."
May God bless these families as they grieve. May we all remember the sacrifice they made to serve others.

No comments: