Saturday, October 3, 2009

Fix the system!


I have been pondering a lot the past few days. I have been very disturbed by a few things I've read in the media this past week. The first thing on my mind is the media coverage of Elizabeth Smart's testimony. Let me first say that I think she looks so poised and regal. What a beautiful and accomplished young woman she has grown into. I don't think the media should be allowed to come out and give every detail of her testimony. All of America knew that horrific things had happened to this young woman while she was held captive. She did such an incredibly brave thing this week by standing up for herself and testifying in a court of law. She is awesome. I really believe though that it was unneccesary for the media to come out and cover every single detail of her testimony. Now....I am not surprised by the coverage of the mojor television networks....but I was surprised to read such a detailed account in the Deseret News. I wept for her as I read those words and then got so sick to my stomach that I threw up. Shame on the media for their extensive coverage. Kudo's to Elizabeth for her bravery and character. What an example she is to young woman across the world who have suffered rape.


Second.....I read an article this week about Judge Torrence from the state of Missouri. A man in his courtroom plead guilty to molesting a girl for 8 years. It began when she was 6 years old. He plead guilty to charges of child molestation, first degree sodomy, and enticement of a child. One would assume that in a case such as this that the penalty would be stiff. However, the judge handed down his sentence of probation. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This girl will be damaged irrevocably for the rest of her life.....and this scum bag gets off with probation. I believe that Judge Torrence, and I use that term loosly as he does not represent the robes he wears very well, should be in a cell beside this guy he let off with such a light sentence. At the very least he should be removed from the bench.


Shame on the justice system in this country. The events have this past week have led me to believe something that I already knew.....the system needs to be fixed. In the case of Smart....this is not the first competency hearing for the man that held her captive. He was competent when he broke into her bedroom and took her at knifepoint. He was competent enough to know that he had to dress her in robes and veils to keep her hidden in public. He is competent....and also very intelligent in my book.....to start singing his hymns when he enters the courtroom so he will appear to be crazy. He doesn't do this all the time....just when he has an audience. Elizabeth testified that he knew the workings of the legal system and was acutally very intelligent. It is ridiculous that this matter still has not been solved. In the Missouri case....what a miscarriage of justice! WHat message does this joke of a sentence hand out to Rape victims across this country? Why come forward if these are the kinds of punishments that are going to be handed out? Perhaps if we had stiffer penalties in this country for rape then we would see the number of rape victims hopefully decrease across this country. The man in Missouri should have served several years for his crime. In my opinion, and I know that many will disagree with me, but in the case of Elizabeth Smart's captor I believe that the punishment should fit the crime and I believe that this man should be given the death penalty. It doesn't matter that this young girl didn't die. The horrific torture that she had to endure for 9 months...and will live with for the rest of her life....warrants a death penalty in my books. At the very least he should never be allowed to see the light of day again. He is a danger to society and it is time for him to get his punishment.


Good luck on your mission to Paris France Elizabeth. May the Lord bless her in her service. I hope young women across this nation will look to her. If you are looking for a hero.....there is a beautiful blonde one from the state of Utah. She was very heroic this week!

2 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I whole-heartedly agree.

I also read this to your Mother and I am pretty sure that you said this well enough for all of us.

Your Mom said she had no idea that Elizabeth had a mission call to Paris France... she liked hearing it.

ToOdLeS.

Brent said...

I agree. Rape is inexcusable and should be a capital crime. As should DUI.