Wednesday, October 7, 2009

PLAY BALL

There is nothing quite like major league baseball in October. As the leaves begin to turn color something magical happens on the baseball diamonds across America. It's the playoffs! Lastnight I watched the Minnesota Twins do something spectacular. At the beginning of Sept. they trailed the division leaders by 7 games. It seemed impossible that they had a chance to make it to the playoffs. They played incredible baseball....and with luck on their side as well....they managed to end up in a dead tie for the division. Lastnight was the tie breaker. Detroit jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead. It appeared as though the magic was about to fizzle. The crowd cheered on their team and they rallied. The game ended up in extra innings. In the top of the 12th it appeared that Detroit was going to have a great inning. Bases loaded with one out. I was on the edge of my seat as I was pulling for the twins. How were they going to get out of this jam? The announcers said that Minnesota has a farm team called MIRACLE...and that is just what they needed. He said "If the twins get out of this then I do believe that destiny is on their side." Ball hit to the second baseman and he throws home just in time to make the out. Next batter is ahead in the count 3=1. Batter struck out. I couldn't believe it. The twins ended up winning in the bottom of the 12th and the Minnesota fans went wild. The twins won 17 of their last 21 games. Unbelievable. Today marks the beginning of playoffs. I will be glued to the television. I wish my M's were in the playoffs. It was nice to see them have a winning season this year though after such a struggle last season. It was extra special to see Griffey back in a Mariner uniform. So....who do I root for when the M's aren't in the playoffs? I root for whoever is playing the Yankees. So....this week that will be Minnesota. In the national league I'm pulling for the Dodgers. I really think the Yankees will end up in the World series this year....and I'd like to see Joe Torre's Dodgers be the ones that send them home without a ring. Poetic justice! I do believe that baseball in October is magical. The level of play increases and sometimes I do believe there really are angels in the outfield. They seem to make plays that aren't humanly possible. I LOVE OCTOBER!

3 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I love October too...
but I can tell you are a bigger baseball fan than I.

ToOdLeS.

Kevin Jackson said...

Never cared for the Twins. Just saying.

Lyle and Mary: said...

Wow Chandra...I am seeing some new passion come out in these posts now that the kids are all out of the house. Maybe you need to pursue your true destiny now..Announcer at the baseball games and and advocate for abused children. Both great avenues to get past the empty-nester blues.