Friday, October 23, 2009

HELP! I need a support group


Okay.....there must be a 12 step program for crazy sports fans like me. Post season baseball could be detrimental to my health. Lastnight it was a must win game for the Angels....and they were playing the team that everyone loves to hate.....at least I do.....the Yankees. The angels jumped to a quick 4-0 lead in the first inning due to some very bad pitching. My brother Ted called in the middle of that inning....he couldn't believe it. I was jumping up and down with excitment. I had a presidency meeting lastnight....which didn't make me very happy....but I left the house in the bottom of the 5th with a frown on my face....but the Angels still had the lead so I had a spring in my step. I called Scott the minute my meeting was over and I said "Please tell me that there will be a game on Saturday. Did the Angels hang on?" Scott tells me that there was a 45 minute 7th inning and the game is still on. He tells me that the Yankees scored 6 runs in the 7th to go ahead by two. My heart sank....then he tells me that the Angels scored 3 in the bottom of that inning and they are up by 1 point. Perhaps he should have told me that information first....before I pass out.....ha ha. Well, he gives me a play by play of the top of the 9th as I am driving home. They intentionally walked A-rod....good move....but beaning him would have made me happier....then they walk Matsui....but not on purpose. I run in....and let me tell you...this is not easy for a 43 year old with joint pain....but believe me when I said I ran. I burst through the door just as they bean the next guy and load the bases....are you kidding me! Oh my gosh....I was getting so nervous....Scott started laughing at me and then came over and started taking my pulse. He thinks I'm so funny when I'm watching a game....I can't help it! When we are 1 out away the hitter starts fouling off balls and the pitcher is throwing junk and the batter takes it to full count.....I'm holding my breath at this point.....the pitch......the swing......CONTACT....I close my eyes....I can't watch.....I peek just as the ball is falling into the Angels outfielders glove.....and I leap across the room with excitment....yelling.......They live to play another day.....which is really great.....but not sure my heart can take it. I'm seriously an addict. I need to go to a support group.


At the meeting lastnight I informed the Relief Society President that I would not be attending any meetings next week because it was the world series. At first she thought I was kidding....but then when she realized I was serious she gave me that look that she is so good at and I could tell she thinks my priorities are in the wrong place. Are you kidding me? Who has a meeting during the world series? Unacceptable. My priorities are exactly as they should be.....afterall.....the series only comes on once a year.....there are how many weeks in a year I can attend a meeting? So, I look to our secretary for support. Come on Nancy....help me out here....and she proceeds to say...."I don't know who is even playing....I don' t have a television." What? I look at her and say "Come on.....you're killing me here." If I didn't have a tv during the post season I think I would actually curl up and die. So.....does anyone know of a good therapist for a baseball adict who chugs down pepsi and popcorn during a game?

2 comments:

Grant Haws said...

Kevin is definitely your child. Haha...Last night he wouldn't watch 30 Rock with Stacie and I because he was afraid we might not let him watch the game during the commercials...I think the team with the gray shirts were playing last night...Hmm ;)

ShEiLa said...

Your Mom and I are rolling with laughter... she really wants to talk to you... badly. She has much to tell about the short trip to Arizona. Tony and I just talked to Yvette for her b.day... so I need to chanrg my cell but I will have that done within the hour and maybe she will call you.

I think it is perfectly cool that you are a sports addict and that you won a TV.... and that you are not going to any meetings. I am glad that Scott has medical training... you may need it.

ToOdLeS.